I’m not always sitting at my desk. I’m not always just writing pages of story. But there are lots of things that I do that I think count as writing.
- Trolling thesaurus.com because that one word is only almost correct, and I can’t remember the right one.
- Scribbling illegibly in my notebook as I try to work out my character growth/plot point/back story or whatever else is just barely out of my reach.
- Staring out the window. Watching that crow strut her stuff or just the wind through the leaves.
- Lying on the couch. Staring at the ceiling.
- Walking the dog, muttering to myself. (Probably scaring away the neighbors.)
- Cleaning the refrigerator.
The story doesn’t stop just because I’m not hunched over the laptop, I’m not done working it out just because I’m chopping onions or going to bed. If I can get into it enough, it just keeps churning, it just keeps untangling itself in my head. It keeps — I hope — getting better.
What non-writing do you do when you’re writing? Do you think you’re just as productive as when you’re churning out a thousand words in one sitting?