I finished another edit on my manuscript. I sent it to my critique partner, posted it in my new writing group, and gave everyone over a month to get back to me with any kind of response.
Now I’m waiting.
And I’m trying to figure out what to do in the meantime.
Here are some ideas.
- Go back to that other manuscript you shelved for a little while…though you’re sure you still need to wait on it.
- Take on the vague story idea and do some research so you can slap some more vague ideas on it and maybe get something that resembles a plot.
- Actually blog on your blog.
- Read. Read a lot. (You need to read more kids books anyway.)
- Actually clean your house, maybe finish unpacking those half full boxes in the basement.
- Critique everything you can on your writing group. (Oh wow I should actually do that one.)
- Just keep writing. Something. Every day. Whether it’s a story or a query letter or a weird listy blog post and even if you don’t think you’ll ever do anything with it, keep writing, because it’s the only thing that consistently makes you feel like you, that makes you feel like you accomplished something with your day, and keeps you sane enough that the people you care about can tolerate you being around.
Yeah. Those might be a start.